Big thanks to Arounna for giving me that beautiful Weck jar in the front!
makes 5 pints
4 lbs freestone peaches
1 lemon, sliced
2 C sugar
5 C water
2 vanilla beans, split and each cut in thirds
1. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Fill another large bowl with cold water and lemon slices.
2. Peel the peaches by dropping 4 at a time into a pot of boiling water for about 1 minute. Remove peaches with a slotted spoon and dunk them into the ice bath. The skins should slide off easily. Once peeled, slice into quarters and put them into the lemon water.
3. In a pot combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil.
4. Tightly pack peach quarters into sterilized mason jars. Top peaches with hot syrup leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Slip a vanilla bean piece into each jar. Screw on lids.
5. Process jars in a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes.